Monday 9 May 2011

Boutique Hotels

What does the term Boutique Hotel mean to you?  For me it conjures up luxury, indulgence and relaxation.  The dictionary definition is; A small stylish hotel, typically one situated in a fashionable urban location.  I have been fortunate enough over the years to travel extensively with my job working on various projects throughout the UK.   I like to book my own travel so always tried to make sure I tried somewhere different every time.  I have of course, my favourites.  And in no particular order are; Hotel du Vin Edinburgh and Harrogate, Woodlands Hotel Leeds, Missoni Edinburgh, Seattle Brighton, Cranley Hotel London, Haymarket Hotel London, Cameron House Loch Lomond, Marr Hall Scotland, Prestonfield House Edinburgh and of course Drakes of Brighton.  You will find with all these hotels there is a link, luxury and well thought out rooms and public areas.  What does it for me every time is a bath in the bedroom, so much so that I'm contemplating putting a bath in one of my guest bedrooms at home.  I have a total aversion to chain hotels, which I won't name but I hate the sameness of them.  I love diversity and interest and I'm very jealous of Kit Kemp, who not only co-owns the Firmdale Group with her husband but has also designed all the hotels for the group.  If you get a chance go and stay in one of their hotels, the furniture, artwork and interesting objects are amazing.













No comments:

Post a Comment